Cigars 101, Cigar Graduates, Reviews, Top Pick, Hot Finds

Friday, March 2, 2012

Cigars 101.5 - Brands? Eeny Meeny Miny Moe...

   Hello everyone and welcome to number five in my Cigars 101 series. Believe it or not, this week's topic was supposed to be about humidors. But because of a little cigar shopping I was doing with a buddy of mine, it became clear to me that this is a more valuable subject for the new guy. Thanks Rick!



    When you begin to shop for cigars and you've already tackled the size, shape, and shade... you are now confronted with another challenge. "What brand do I start with?" At first it would seem like a trivial thought. However, when it comes to cigars, you are faced with more choices of brand names than you were with shapes and colors. There are literally HUNDREDS to pick from and it can be a daunting task for someone buying their first cigar. 


[If you are curious, click here to see a list of cigar brands available.]

    To start, it is always a good idea to ask the cigar shop clerk for help. Don't feel embarrassed about asking, they're used to it and (most of them) love helping a new customer out. But just for informational sake there are a few things to understand when sifting through the different makes and models. 



Use customer and website ratings as your starting point.
    When I was getting started, I had no way of knowing the good cigars from the not so good. In my early searches, I discovered Cigar Aficionado's website and learned they had a yearly Top 25 list all the way back to 2004. Once I discovered this, I used the top 10 from each year to begin my purchasing and it got me well off the ground. Other good sources are cigar retail websites where you can find customer ratings.

Try everything... avoid nothing.
    Never be afraid to try something new and never get to comfortable with any one brand because you'd be missing out on allot!

The less recognizable brands are worth trying.
    Coming into cigars you may be familiar with brands such as Arturo Fuente, Montecristo, and Cohiba. So you may be drawn to these brands simply out of familiarity. However, I purchased a bundle of cigars once that came with four Rocky Patel's and one brand called Cubao. As far as I was concerned, the Rocky's were what I was after and the Cubao was the ugly duckling. On the contrary... I lit up the Cubao one night and was blown away. It was smooth, flavorful, and frankly one of the best smokes I've had to date. Never underestimate the odd ball.

If cost is a factor, let that be your guide.
    NEVER assume that inexpensive cigars are such because of poor quality. One of my top choice cigars (Rocky Patel Edge Maduro) is under $7. Now when you dip down into the $4 to $3 range, you might want to lower your expectations. But you can find some incredible cigars at prices between $5 - $10. 

Should I try all the cigars within one brand first, then move to another?
   Yes and no. This is a safe way to get your feet wet. As a matter of fact, I started with the Rocky Patel line and have found numerous Rocky cigars that I love. However, brands such as Rocky Patel and Arturo Fuente have so many lines (or front mark's) under their brand name, you'd be smoking Rocky's or Fuente's for a long time and may get burnt out. (No pun intended) I would suggest continuing to try new cigars while working through your current brand. You never know what you'll find.

Does every (single) cigar under one brand name taste different?
    No. However, this is another gray area that truly depends on the smoker and the brand of cigars. For instance Rocky Patel has almost twenty different front mark's (Much like Ford has many different models of cars). Each front mark (model) comes in 3 to 9 different sizes and despite subtle differences in intensity based on their size and shape, they are all made of the very same tobacco (within each front mark). So... if you took Rocky's Vintage 1990 line and were to smoke all 9 sizes, you would find that they all tasted alike, with some subtle differences. Same goes with other brands. The cigars may differ in shape and size but the tobacco used in any particular front mark is identical throughout. 

    NEW! I am adding a new series, Flint's Top Pick. Not only will you get updated Cigars 101 entries on Friday, you will also get my very best cigar suggestions. I will rate and post info about cigars I love to help guide your way. Some will be familiar and others unexpected surprises. 

Flint's Brand Recommendations
  1. Rocky Patel
  2. Padron
  3. Perdomo
  4. Oliva
  5. La Flor Domincana
  6. Ashton/La Aroma De Cuba
  7. Alec Bradley
  8. Arturo Fuente
  9. Gurkah
  10. Cubao
    My final notes. One of the most exciting part of cigar shopping is buying something totally new and unknown to you. Staying with what you are familiar with is fine but there is something fun about looking forward to smoking an LFD Chisel or a NUB 460 for the first time. 

    Next time I will dive into the mysteries of owning a humidor. Are you ready for one? Do you know what seasoning is? Until next week, have a great weekend!



Click for CigarTimes on Instagram




No comments:

Post a Comment